Saturday, May 12, 2007

Tori vs. Bjork

I could've peed my pants when I found out that BJORK and TORI AMOS was coming out with new albums about the same time. I picked up both VOLTA (Bjork's) and AMERICAN DOLL POSSE giddy with anticipation being a die-hard fan of both strong women. But at the end of the day I concluded that one will be stuck on repeat, making near CLASSIC status in my mind. The other will be another disappointing dust-collector. Can you guess which is which?

Tori starts the album with TO GEORGE showing her disapproval of the NOB, that's my girl! American Doll Posse is LONG with 23 songs. HMMMH there is that number again. Several are very short, lashing out to George, sluts (FAT SLUT, TRACK 8), and the undecipherable. Tori brings her classic sound and piano skills to many of her songs but overall the tone is DARKER, HEAVIER, AND GRUNGIER than any of her other albums. Tori brings a NO DOUBT feel to TEENAGE HUSTLING, track 4 with a more rockin sound and a dirtier bass. I 'm reminded of Joan Osborne on track 6, YOU CAN BRING YOUR DOG. In GIRL DISAPPEARING, track 9, Tori brings out everything we Tori fans love about her, observations on women's issues using provocative vocals, superb strings, and piano instrumentation. Track 12, BODY AND SOUL, Tori explores her dark sound and her dark side is OH so good. Overall this album is HOT HOT HOT. If you already love Tori then AMERICAN GIRL POSSE is a MUST HAVE.

BJORK ahhhh Bjork. I have followed her career since the 8th grade when she was a relatively unknown in the Icelandic band, THE SUGARCUBES. Bjork has moved me in a way like no other. That is why I am sorry to be a bearer of bad new for you Bjork fans.
In the first song I felt like I was stuck in a computer game in her alien anthem song, EARTH INTRUDERS. In WANDERLUST She does a duet that is simply dreadful using a trance beat in the background of a ballad. Track 4, INNOCENCE uses an extremely repetitive beat that made me want to beat IT. Each song seemed to try too much pushing the line of redundancy or gave too little. Tracks 5 and 8 both had an Oriental flair and also happened to be the only songs that I thought were worthwhile. (I SEE WHO YOU ARE and HOPE). There are 10 songs on this album. I was REALLY happy that there wasn't 23.
Overall I think you need some serious DRUGS to appreciate VOLTA. Tori wins, NO CONTEST.

No comments: